Mar 25, 2015
SATO, a leading global provider of Auto-ID solutions that empower workforces and streamline operations, today unveiled the new SATO PJM RFID-Enabled Cabinet at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2015 Annual Meeting. The Smart Cabinet employs PJM RFID*1 technology to deliver unprecedented accuracy for real-time inventory control in a simple, interactive package.
With the PJM RFID-Enabled Cabinet, healthcare providers can scan hundreds of items in seconds, enforce effective practices to reduce loss and ensure staff accountability. It utilizes an Android-based touch-screen interface that provides voice guidance and is IoT-ready. The cabinet operates as a standalone device, or can be connected via LAN or WLAN for remote inventory management.
“The PJM RFID-Enabled Cabinet is really a game-changer for the orthopaedic industry,” said Kaz Matsuyama, President and CEO of SATO Holdings. “It outperforms traditional inventory systems by a huge margin, cutting management time from hours to minutes, and as an IoT-ready device it offers a new level of visibility that provides users with insights on their assets in real-time, resulting in greater efficiency, reductions in human error and improved patient safety.”
Outside of orthopaedics, the PJM RFID-Enabled Cabinet is ideal for a variety of applications including management of pharmaceuticals or other high-value items such as diamonds and gemstones.
The cabinet is currently being introduced to end-users in a variety of industries to get direct feedback, and fully optimize the system based on application and use patterns. The new models will be available in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific.
The PJM RFID-Enabled Cabinet feature set includes
- Real-time inventory: Complete inventory count in 30 seconds
- 3D Scanning: No need to rearrange items; read items regardless of orientation, even when closely stacked
- Accountability: Enforce first-in-first-out operations and keep a record of who accesses stock
- Visibility: Use 9” touch-screen to view vital messages and control operations
- Auto-lock: Electronic lock prevents unauthorized access and increases security
- Multilingual support: Text and speech in multiple languages per user preference setting
*1PJM (Phase Jitter Modulation) is an RFID technology that can quickly and accurately identify large volumes of tagged items stacked or stored in any physical orientation.